.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Shaved My Head When Robert Stanfield Died

"...because Canadian politics is a baffling mystery that, when explained, still doesn't make sense, and has no bearing on anything." -Commenter on a Diefenbaker YTMND I made

Saturday, September 17, 2005

I love Joe.

Poor, deluded, obviously not wearing a bra, Joe.


This is without a doubt the most pathetic photo I have ever seen of the man, found on Wikipedia:

I feel bad. Like Joe is the Rudy of Canadian Politics. Except if Joe were the Rudy of Canadian politics is would have involved more sleeping in a cot in the janitor's room and less adulation by his team mates. It'd be like if Rudy wandered down from the stands while nobody was looking and got his buddy Marty to take this photo of him with the Grey Cup while everyone was busy celebrating. It's very, very, sad.

Joe had to deal with a lot of Prime Ministerial things while not having the advantage of being able to act very Prime Ministerial. Joe buried Diefenbaker, something that would have made even Trudeau look small. You don't believe me? Look at the NFB film 'Dief' and watch Pierre viewing the casket. You didn't know he had a beard did you? But anyhoo, he looks like a broken man saying goodbye to a freind who has spurned him. That's pathos. That's feelings of inadequacy. That's a man being reminded about the beautiful and civic nature of Canadian Nationalism. That's a man who's going to introduce the NEP and tell Reagan where to stick it in a few months time.

Ah, for the days when our atheletes were more surprised by events than our leaders and when our national press had more context than our sporting press.

I'll have more on The Secret Mulroney Tapes later. But for now, I'm far too drunk.

"No you're not"

[Takes Deep Slurp from drink]

[Uneasy stare]

"I don't want no union..." [And passes out]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home