.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Shaved My Head When Robert Stanfield Died

"...because Canadian politics is a baffling mystery that, when explained, still doesn't make sense, and has no bearing on anything." -Commenter on a Diefenbaker YTMND I made

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I wanted to talk about boycotting Morrissey, but I can't. It's a constitutional thing:

So the Prime Minister in his firm grasp of the nature of Canadian politics states that the Cabinet doesn't legally have to inform people of when they are meeting. How does he claim this right to cabinet secrecy?

"It's a constitutional thing."

Well, sure I agree with the right of Cabinet to have full and frank in camera discussions at which point they can disclose as much or as little about the meeting they see fit. That is indeed a constiutional thing.

But you know what else is a constitutional thing? Disuetude. The right of Cabinet to not disclose the very fact that it is meeting has long since been forefeit by the government. You know why? They never invoke it! That's disuetude.

Just another constitutional thing brought to you by the good person at ISMHWRSD. I'm sure it'll catch on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home