.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Shaved My Head When Robert Stanfield Died

"...because Canadian politics is a baffling mystery that, when explained, still doesn't make sense, and has no bearing on anything." -Commenter on a Diefenbaker YTMND I made

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Modernist vs. Post Modernist:

Just saw this blog entry while browsing crooks and liars.

Read below after you've watched the video.

Oh how Rush Limbaugh hath fallen. This was a fairly quiet and reasonable person on this show. He was being moderately venomous, as most good pundits are, in decrying a boycott of Idaho Potatoes linked to an Idaho abortion bill. I'm glad of course that the Idaho Gov. vetoed the bill. I'm glad that the audience cheered. I'm glad that the point was made that illegal abortion costs lives in terms of the mother's life and in terms of unwanted pregnancies being prone to higher rates of crime and lower life expectancy.

You know what I'm not pleased at. Rush couldn't get a sentence in. It wasn't a dialogue, it was a shouting match and Rush didn't play that game. He didn't call people murders, he certainly had 10 minutes to do so. He didn't tell anyone to shut up. He didn't have a group of people ejected. I disagree with most of what he said except for what would be the creed of the Modernist:

"I am not responsible for your behavior."

I wish that the Bushist right would understand that. I wish that they wouldn't compare dissent to comfort to the enemy. I wish that Rush '90 had the decency of Rush '06. I wish that post-modernists on the right and the left would realise that retricting the freedom of our enemies is, in effect, rendering freedom useless.

You won't have a discussion when you call your opponent a murdering pig. There is legitimacy in calling someone a hypocrite, but murderer? Pig? That's not discourse. That's not how to show support for the disenfranchise. That is naught but a strong arm tactic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home