.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Shaved My Head When Robert Stanfield Died

"...because Canadian politics is a baffling mystery that, when explained, still doesn't make sense, and has no bearing on anything." -Commenter on a Diefenbaker YTMND I made

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Oh, Rush... it's so delightful to watch you tempt fate like this.

324.6 lbs.

He's definitely not the first, or by any means the last, but most assuredly the quintessential willfully ignorant gourmand thug (I like the ring of it far more than Big Fat Idiot) of North American politics. Everyone else's motives are darker than his, to believe them, or perhaps, seeing as he wants the president to fail, hopes for rioting at political conventions, and general unrest, he attempts to make everyone's motives as dark as his. I think it is a uniquely interesting feature of hard right movement politicians. They are so effective because their ultimate goals are perpetually unsatisfied. In
democratic politcs no group has ever succeeded in turning back social progress for any amount of time. Sure, economic progress has been turned back, and renewed and... ad infinitum, but you'll never get a solid, unimpeachable majority of Americans to again believe that the social, political, and economic benefits of marriage are exclusive to hetrosexual couples, or that abortions should be going on in back alleys instead of doctor's offices. I, on the other hand, am a left-wing, anti-post-modernist, statist, neo-Fordist/Kensian red tory. I will forever be warring with both sides of the spectrum... especially the center.

It's a good place to struggle, I think.

1 Comments:

At 03 May, 2009, Blogger The Shoshone Conservative said...

"left-wing, anti-post-modernist, statist, neo-Fordist/Kensian red tory" who ran as an Alberta SoCred to boot(!).

Seriously, even though I disagree with a lot of what you say, I enjoy reading your political commentary, and am glad. I do agree, though, that Rush made a mistake saying he hopes Obama fails - even if one dislikes Obama's policies (to a Canadian down here, I would say he's the U.S.'s first "NDP President"), if he fails, the whole country goes down the crapper. More correct would be, "his policies are misguided, and are likely to fail." For, if he succeeds, then there was nothing wrong with his economic policies to begin with.

Funny thing, when I lived in Canada, I was squarely within the Reform Party's ideology. In the U.S., working with the Republican Party, I come across somewhat as "Red Tory" in comparison to other Republicans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home